Monday, March 04, 2002




Danny Yamamoto



A graduate of Los Angeles' Dorsey High School, Danny has had a lifelong love affair with music. Beginning with the accordian (yes, the accordian) Danny, reflective of his eclectic tastes in art and music, plays virtually all the instruments in a band, but as a tool for self-expression, found the drums to be the key. In fact, he played in the high school battle of the bands (and came in second?) with a jazz trio featuring himself, bassist (now msuician-producer) Larry Klein and pianist ( now Downbeat award-winning jazz keyboardist) Billy Childs.

[from HiroshimaMusic ]

I unexpectedly saw Danny Yamamoto, a member of the group Hiroshima, on Sunday afternoon at Long Beach City College with Nedra Wheeler's Jazz group. I was thrilled, because 15 years ago, when I first came to California, Hiroshima's "Second Generation" album was one of my favorites, and really maked the asian influences in contemporary California culture, which was a stark and welcome contrast to what I'd grown up with in Rhode Island. We had to leave before their very enjoyable set was done, but I would have liked to have thanked him for the influence he had on my first months in California. Maybe I'll try and e-mail him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home